Munsiari is a heaven on earth, nestled in the snow capped peaks of Himalayas. The hill station Munsiyari is also entitled as the ‘Little Kashmir’. From here, one can see the gorgeous ranges of ‘Panchachuli’ ranges, which is a group of five peaks and also the most important attraction of Munsiyari. Munsiyari offers a scenic view of Panchachuli peaks which looks like five chimneys and is the star attraction at Munsyari .The virgin environment of the valley offer breathe taking view of surrounding mountain ranges.
Munsiyari is a famous place for trekking excursions and is popular with high altitude trekkers and adventure enthusiasts as this place is the base of Milam, Ralam and Namik Glaciers. It was previously a restricted area as it is in between the borders of India, Tibet and Nepal but Munsyari is now emerging as a popular Trekking destination and the Government of Uttrakhand is also promoting this little paradise of Kumaun.
Quickly dive into the details:
- Trekking in Munsiyari
- Activities in Munsiyari
- Places to visit in Munsiyari
- Shopping in Munsiyari
- Best Time To Visit Munsiyari
- Accommodations in Munsiyari
- How To Reach Munsiyari
Munsiyari is located in the Pithoragarh district of Uttarakhand. It has an altitude of approximately 2,300 meters. The best part about this place is that it is covered with snow peaked Himalayan ranges. It falls on the ancient trade route of Tibet and also acts as the entrance to Johar valley.
TREKKING IN MUNSIYARI
Munsiyari is famous for its trek, both short and long ones. Khaliya top is one of the shortest treks from Munsiyari, along with the trek to Nanda Devi temple. Some of the long treks are to – Milam Glacier, Namik Glacier, and Ralam Glacier.
Milam Glacier Trek
Milam glacier is one of the largest glaciers in the Kumaon region. It is situated at an altitude of 2290 m above sea level. Munsiyari is the base camp for this trek and one can see the beautiful river flowing of Gori Ganga River. The total duration of the trek is 9 days and the total distance of the trek is 58 km one side. The Milam Glacier Trek that passes through several solitary hamlets, lush green alpine meadows dotted with wild flowering plants, evergreen whispering,
Ralam Glacier Trek
Ralam glacier is also located in the Kumaon region and is divided into two – lower Ralam and upper Ralam. It is about 15 KMs from Munsiyari. The total duration of the trek is 8 days. Ralam Glacier is situated at an elevation of 2290 m, this glacier is found near Ralam Dhura at Ralam Khal in the Kumaon region. Munsiyari serves as the starting point of the trek, which is an easy point of access. This trek spanning from 8-10 days is the one that will lend you an experience of a lifetime. Ralam Glacier trek is sure to bring out the hiker in you.
Namik Glacier Trek
Located on the Kumaon Himalayas at an altitude of 3,600 meters, the Namik Glacier is the most nostalgic place in the world surrounded by the major peaks like Nanda Devi (7,848 m), Nanda Kot (6,861 m), and Trishul (7,120 m). This is trek is a 10 day’s trek.It is one of the least explored regions in Uttarakhand and is about 40 KMs from Munsiyari which acts as the base camp for this trek. One can also witness saltwater springs in this region.
ACTIVITIES IN MUNSIYARI
Rafting in Gori Ganga River, Skiing in Khaliya Top, Trekking, Bird watching, camping, and other adventures activities. Munsiyari also offers short treks which is a paradise for trekking lovers. Some of the most popular short treks in Munsiyari are:
- Khalia Top Trek- via Balanti (Half Day)
- Khalia Top- via Kalamuni (same day return)
- Nanda Devi Temple Trek- via ITBP Dandadhar Ridge9 3-4 Hours)
- Thamri Kund (3-4 Hours Trek)
- Museum- Darkot Handicraft Village (3-4 hours)
- Maheswari Kund (Half Day Trek)
- Madkot Hot Water Spring (Half Day Trek)
PLACES TO VISIT IN MUNSIYARI
Munsiyari is trekker’s paradise. It is also the base camp for Nanda Devi trek. However, apart from the trekking spots, there are several sightseeing places near Munsiyari which makes this place a perfect weekend getaway.
SHOPPING IN MUNSIYARI
Munsiyari offers some of the best pashmina shawls, angora woolen garments and sheep wool carpets (Dan). Organic potatoes are grown here and quite famous. However, the shopping can be done only at The
BEST TIME TO VISIT MUNSIYARI
The months March-June and mid-September-October are perfect for visiting Munsiyari. The days then are pleasant with sunny temperatures in the range of 25-30 degrees range with cooler nights. This period is also ideal for trekking in the nearby mountains. It is always recommended to avoid the monsoon months from July to September when there is non-stop rainfall and the dampness plays spoilsport most of the time.
The month of November is wonderful when winter is just setting in. But December and January are too cold if you are not used to the harsh winter when the temperature drops to negative. The only positive point then is that the hotel rates are heavily slashed. The tourist rush is also not there, and if you want to spend solitude in the revelry of quietude, sitting and reading before a cozy fireplace, it is the right time of the month. In the winter, you can be a part of the famous Makar Sankranti celebrations, which is organized in mid-January. Jaulajibi is a fair held every November where people from all over the world come to trade and participate.
ACCOMMODATIONS IN MUNSIYARI
Plenty of accommodations are available in Munsiyari but as a small Hill town it is better advise to book your staying in advance during summers as because Tourism is on peak during these days.
There are various homestay options are also available price ranges starting from ₹500 in which you will get a decent double bedroom with clean separate washroom and a Tv set installed. The best part of these homestays is that you will get a view of Panchachuli Peaks from your window.
HOW TO REACH MUNSIYARI
Munsiyari is 300km north of Nainital. It can be reached using hired taxis and buses from Nainital and Almora. There are 4 different routes to reach Munsiyari from Almora.
- Almora – Bageshwar – Chaukori – Thal
- Almora – Bageshwar – Kapkot – Tejam
- Almora – Seraghat – Udiyari Bend
- Almora – Pithoragarh – Udiyari Bend
The third route from Almora to the Udiyari bend and then to Munsiyari is the most scenic, as it runs through part of the Binsar wildlife sanctuary (which it itself is a great holiday destination).
- Road – There are no direct buses to Munsiyari. The best option for you would be to take a bus till Haldwani. Buses from ISBT Anand Vihar runs frequently till Haldwani.
- Take an overnight bus till Haldwani that will drop you off at the bus stand by 6 AM in the morning. From here, you have several options. Either you can take a bus or a shared taxi till Munsiyari.
- A private taxi is also an option, however, if you want to reduce cost, a shared taxi would be the most feasible option.
- Train – The nearest bus stand to Munsiyari is Kathgodam. It is advisable to book your train seats well in advance because the train fills fast. From Kathgodam there are frequent buses leaving for Munsiyari.
- Air – The nearest airport to Munsiyari is Pantnagar Airport and is situated in the Nainital region of Uttarakhand. From here, you take a cab directly to Munsiyari. Or if you want to reduce cost, you can take a cab till Almora and from Almora, you can take a bus or shared taxi.